CRAYFISH CAKES WITH AVOCADO & CHILLI MASH
These tasty crayfish cakes are a very low-fat treat and are excellent served with the creamy yet spicy avocado and chilli mash.
I N G R E D I E N T S
30 g/1 oz wholemeal breadcrumbs
½ tsp pepper
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
200 g/7 oz peeled and cooked crayfish tails
50 g/1¾ oz ready-roasted red pepper from a jar, drained and chopped
1 tsp medium-hot peri peri sauce
1 tbsp extra-light mayonnaise
1 small egg white, beaten
10 g/¼ oz flour, for dusting
1 ripe avocado, sliced
1 small fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped
1 spring onion, finely chopped
½ tsp smoked paprika
juice of ¼ lime
6 sprays cooking oil spray
1. Put the breadcrumbs, pepper and parsley into a bowl and stir well to combine.
2. Roughly chop the crayfish tails. In a separate bowl, combine the crayfish tails, red pepper, peri peri sauce and mayonnaise. Stir the breadcrumb mixture into the crayfish mixture.
3. Add the beaten egg and mix to a moderately firm mixture – the cakes will firm up more once they are cooked. Divide into four rough rounds and sprinkle with flour. If you have time, chill for up to 1 hour.
4. To make the mash, place the avocado slices in a bowl and roughly mash with a fork. Stir in the chilli, spring onion, paprika and lime juice.
5. Spray a non-stick frying pan with the cooking oil spray and place over a medium–high heat. Add the crayfish cakes and cook for 2–3 minutes, or until the underside is crisp and golden. Turn and cook for a further 2–3 minutes, or until cooked through. Serve the cakes immediately with the avocado mash.
Love the recipe? Get the book!